Saturday, February 23, 2013

Picture Frame Jewelry Organizer



I came up with this idea by mixing something I saw at an Ikea and on Pinterest.  Ikea used items from the bath section as hooks, but it was meant to be tucked away in a closet and I wanted mine out in the open.  Using the hooks would have made this stick out off the wall too far and I would probably have bumped my head on it.

The Pinterest post used ribbon to hang the jewelry, but it sagged from the weight of the necklaces.  This organizer uses metal rods cut into the sides of the frame to hold the jewelry.  

To make it, I bought a picture frame from Ikea and removed the matte and glass frames. I covered the remaining board with a fabric that I found from JoAnn Fabrics. I taped it so it would lay flat, though I am sure there are more permanent means I could have used. 

I marked the back of the frame with the places that I needed to cut to make room for the metal rods, which I got from a local hardware supply store.  To measure, I just took one of my longer necklaces and draped it from the wire. After I had my measurements, I cut away the wood frame to make about a 1/4 inch notch in each side. 

You can see that I had to remeasure here a
few time. Whoops!

To hold the jewelry I could have bought clips, but that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun (or as cute!). So, I used 18-gauge wire and a pair of round nose pliers that I had to make S-shaped loops. I closed off one end to make the loop and made a few different sizes to accommodate thicker jewelry, like bangles. Once I had all of the clasps that I wanted, I slid them onto the metal rod. 

Small loops for all of my necklaces.
Larger loops for rings, bracelets, etc. I also added coiled
spacers, seen on the left, for a bit of decoration.

I placed the rod into the notched sides and put the back on the frame. Voila! Now, just add hanging attachments and you have a cute jewelry organizer!

Total Project Cost
Picture Frame $25
Metal Rod $3
Wire for rings $3

Total cost $31

The total time required for this was around an hour, but it is adorable now that it is done! Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment